How to Administer Activated Carbon to Your Dog After He Eats Chocolate

Hungry brown dog with empty bowl waiting for feeding
TechnologyLeave a Comment on How to Administer Activated Carbon to Your Dog After He Eats Chocolate

How to Administer Activated Carbon to Your Dog After He Eats Chocolate

Activated carbon should be an essential part of your pet’s first aid kit. If your pet ingests a toxic substance, you may be able to administer activated carbon to help absorb the poison before it enters your pet’s bloodstream.

Is Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?

Dog owners know that their beloved pets sometimes ingest things they shouldn’t. While many table foods are safe for dogs in small quantities or will produce only mild indigestion, dog owners should know which foods could seriously harm their pets.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. Its active ingredient is the alkaloid chemical theobromine. Theobromine is a diuretic, smooth muscle relaxant, and heart stimulant. While this compound may benefit humans in small quantities, there is no safe level for a dog or cat.

Toxic Doses of Chocolate

The toxicity of chocolate depends on the pet’s weight and the concentration of theobromine they consume. A toxic dose of theobromine is as little as 100 mg per pound of the animal’s weight.

High-quality cooking or baking chocolate poses the most significant threat because it has the highest concentration of theobromine.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Call or visit a veterinary emergency center immediately if you believe your dog has eaten chocolate. Please note all of the symptoms to help the vet treat the illness.

If you do not find wrappers or other signs that your dog ate chocolate, symptoms may not appear for 6 to 12 hours.

Symptoms may include:

  • Sudden cardiac death (especially in older animals)
  • Vomiting
  • Increased thirst
  • Diarrhea
  • Panting
  • Rapid breathing
  • Seizures
  • Muscle spasms or stiffness
  • Higher body temperature
  • Excessive urination
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Abnormal behavior

How Does Activated Carbon Help?

Activated carbon is a highly porous material that attracts molecules of theobromine and stops them from being absorbed into the animal’s bloodstream.

Administering Activated Carbon to Your Dog

Step 1: Call the Veterinarian

While activated carbon can help your dog when properly administered, you should not use it without your vet’s authorization because it can raise sodium levels, which could cause further health risks.

Step 2: Administer Activated Carbon

If your vet approves, give your dog 1 to 5 grams of activated carbon per kilogram of their weight. You can mix this dose with water and put it in a syringe. If your dog does not have symptoms of chocolate poisoning, put the carbon in their water dish.

Step 3: Watch The Pet Carefully

Note all your pet’s symptoms. Your pet may take 1 to 3 days to recover.

Peace of Mind For Your Pet

While pets are naturally curious, keeping all potentially toxic foods and beverages securely out of their reach at all times is best.

Keeping pharmaceutical-grade activated carbon on hand can give pet owners peace of mind. Even if you administer this medication to your pet, call or visit your vet to ensure it has the proper effect.

Puragen provides diverse activated carbon solutions for pharmaceutical, industrial, and environmental applications. The company can customize activated carbon products to meet individual needs. Call Puragen at 561-725-3671 to inquire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top